PlayUp Tools needs ...

A Mac OS Version (Unity3D)

Gauging interest level as this would require a Mac to do the development.

45 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminNintari (Owner, PlayUp Tools) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminNintari (Owner, PlayUp Tools) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appends convert.exe because many Windows users were not adding that part of the path in. Without the convert.exe it would not run properly, so PlayUp now adds that to the end of the string. I could probably just add a little logic in to check if you are on a Windows machine before appending the string.

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like it might be able to work as long as the convert executable preference can be revised to look for the Mac version of it. I've managed to use MacPorts to successfully install ImageMagick, but the PlayUp preferences insist on searching for the name "convert.exe" instead of "convert," which is what the executable on the Mac is called. I don't know if the path preferences need to be changed to accommodate the Mac OS Extended format. We're so VERY close!

• AdminNintari (Owner, PlayUp Tools) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to do this a while back. The issue is that the file system for a Mac is quite different, and is rather foreign if you are used to Windows. What I would need is the aid of a programmer who is familiar with both Ruby and Mac to work out how to setup the preference paths, registry info and write to file. That part is just not my expertise. The rest of the exporter between Windows and Mac (all of the calculations and formatting etc) should work exactly the same. What I've seen people do to get around it is export on a Windows machine and just copy the files over to the Mac, but I know that is less than ideal and requires access to a Windows machine.

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that the exporter is Ruby 2.0 based and a MacPort is available for ImageMagick, is there any need for a dedicated Mac version anymore?

• Phil Rader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I would love this. Have used SketchUP since version 1. Long time pc user but I switched to mac last year. Currently work at the U of M Virtual Reality Design Lab and we use Unity (Mac) version to build our software/VR models. WOuld love to have a quick and easy way to get from SU to Unity.

Feedback and Knowledge Base